Chemical Strengthening (Gorilla Glass)
Glass known as HIE Glass such as Corning® Gorilla® Glass, SCHOTT Xensation™ Cover glass, or AGC Dragontrail™, is chemically strengthened glass that has increased strength as a result of a post-product chemical process. This process typically increases the strength of the glass by 6 to 8X that of un-strengthened float glass. The ion-exchange process creates a deep compression layer on the surface of the glass structure, reducing the introduction of flaws once incorporated into the end product and put into service.
Typically used for electronic display screens such as smartphones, laptop and tablet computers, mobile devices, touch screens, and more, HIE glass provides outstanding resistance to breakage, scratches and temperature fluctuations.
Chemically strengthened glass advantages:
- Improved impact resistance
- Improved flexibility strength
- Improved scratch resistance
- Improved resistance to temperature changes
By using a thin glass such raw material such as Corning® Gorilla® Glass, SCHOTT Xensation™ Cover glass, or AGC Dragontrail™, the end product will have improved transmission, reduced weight, and reduced mounting costs as just some of the significant advantages.
We can provide customized fabrication solutions for their HIE glass that include the application of thin film coatings, various edge treatments, custom cutting and drilling, screen printing, Bus Bars and more.
HIE Glass offerings include:
- Thicknesses from 0.5 mm to 3.0 mm
- Sheet sizes* from 18.7” to 49.2” (475 mm to 1250 mm)
* Theses are the standard sizes that these raw materials are available in, and/or can be fabricated to. In terms of supplying a strengthened piece of glass with fabrication, screen print and coatings (value-added) manufacturing, the maximum size that we can currently offer is 157″ x 78″ (3987 mm x 1981 mm).
Custom thicknesses and sheet sizes may be available.